Sacred Heart

In terms of religion, I was baptised as a ‘protestant’, but for some reason I’ve always had a fascination with Catholicism. I think it was the iconography that appealed to me; the rosary beads and rings, medals of saints, the ornate crucifixes. Though, growing up in Ibrox, Glasgow, home of Rangers football team it wasn’t an interest to shout about!
The Sacred Heart that's depicted in religious icons, has thorns around the centre and a cross sprouting from the top of the heart, which I didn't include in my version; although I did include one other religious motif, and that was the beads attached to the chain, like a rosary.

Apart from the religious connections regarding the image, for me I also think that it symbolises passion, the fire in your heart and the inner strength that makes you face difficulties.