A Bloody Accident

‘The chief enemy of creativity is good taste’ Picasso

Often the case with me is I like to incorporate ideas that go against the convention, which is why I made this pendant.
The idea of wearing a shard of cracked glass that has blood through it appealed to my sensibilities. I like the idea of ‘beautifying’ or hyper-stylising what conventionally would be dangerous, mundane or abject.

I remember being quite impressed with the Gaultier designed dress for Almodovar’s film,
Kika.

For her 1995 Vive La Cocotte autumn/winter collection, Vivienne Westwood designed this beaded dress and jackets; the jacket detail had beaded 'blood' dripping from a slash on the jacket, unfortunately the side where the slash is, is cut off from the photo.












The idea for the necklace had originally started off as a broken mirror, but I was having difficulty creating a cracked, reflective surface to embed in the resin.
The 'blood' is a crimson glass paint that I let seep into a cured resin shape that was cracked- I covered the piece with masking tape to make sure that all the broken pieces stayed relatively close to each other before breaking, as I didn't want to spend time on a resin 'jigsaw'!

I then let colour dry before embedding the shape into the original mould with more resin. The pendant was then attached to a nylon coated wire with red bead 'blood drops' threaded on to it.

On the subject of the abject, during a hot day, I remember seeing a dog crap that was absolutely covered in green bottles; quite a disgusting sight but at the same time it was also quite pretty!

I tried to recreate it to for a photograph, parodying a home shopping channel’s jewelery segment.
NB It wasn’t real crap, it was a mixture of cat food and chocolate and I only got a couple of fly visitors-they obviously prefer the real stuff!